Crazy Pros & Cons of Rowing Machine Cardio
Rowing machine cardio is stinkin’ awesome and I’ll tell you why you should be doing it.
By far it’s one of my favorite ways to scorch fat and stay looking slim and trim while still working my muscles pretty darn good.
The rowing machine is such a versatile tool to get a GREAT & sexy figure, if you want to, you can add resistance and build lean muscle on your back and arms so that you look firm and young or you can lighten the resistance and go strictly for the amazing cardio health benefits.
Dropping the pounds and shedding fat are almost unavoidable if you consistently go hard on the row machine.
I like to add a lot of resistance and get the both of both worlds, build up my heart health as well as maintain my lean muscle to stay looking young.
Dependent on your preferred resistance the numbers differ, but for medium resistance the estimated calorie burn for a 150 lb woman is around 250 calories per 30 minutes of exercise.
But of course it really depends on how hard you go and how high you ramp up the resistance. I’ve hit 300 calories in 30 minutes consistently when I row, but I go hard
Rowing Machine Cardio Benefits
The body’s biggest muscles are targeted during rowing, which means your back, your legs, your butt and your abs are working incredibly hard.
Rowing is very taxing on the body and that’s a good thing…
You can probably look forward to a nice case of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) for a couple days after your workout. Ahhh, how sweet it is!!!
After your workout be sure to get the proper post-cardio nutrition and you’re well on your way to having a body that others envy, a super fit and toned physique.
More reasons to try rowing machine cardio…
- Rowing machines are great home gym equipment.
- It has great fat burning potential.
- It’s simple, so it’s ideal for people new to exercise.
- Rowing is great for building your stamina and speed.
- You can easily watch TV or listen to music during a a row machine workout.
- It doesn’t put pressure on your knees and ankles so the injury risk is very low.
- It definitely helps develop toned & sexy legs and builds up leg strength as well.
- You can easily find row machines with air/fans built in to help cool down your skin while working out.
- It’s great for building your overall fitness level.
- Sustained use of rowing machines will tone your arms, legs, butt, abdominals, and back.
- You can pretend you’re on a boat trying to escape a shark, lol. (It’s fun!)
Negative sides of using a rowing machine for losing weight
- Some people get bored with it after many workouts. (Not me though…)
- Rowing machines can be expensive for folks on a budget.
- Some of the cheaper row machines are noisy and honestly that can get very irritating.
If you get bored easily, do what I do. Try to constantly beat your best time or burn more calories than the last workout, and do your row cardio several times weekly. To additionally sculpt your body, ramp up the resistance or mix in some bodyweight exercises (pushups are great, for example) and weight lifting into your workout. If you would like to increase your metabolism and burn more calories after your rowing machine cardio workout, lifting weights is a great idea.